MAVRIC’s Science Team is responsible for preparing the Phoenix rover for the Science Mission portion of URC 2019. This involves the design, manufacturing, and development of an entirely on-rover assay or test which can detect the presence of life in a rock or soil sample from an area provided by URC.
We are at the end of our first phase, which included research on Earth-based biology and astrobiology as well as research on a multitude of different life-detection assays and tests. Soon, we will begin the design process on the sample collection device and the life-detection test. Collectively, these two devices will be known as the Science Rig.
Science Team’s goals for the Fall 2018 semester are:
- Decide upon a life-detection test
- Do general research on the fields of astrobiology and biology
- Design a sample collection device (if necessary)
- Design a sample preparation procedure
- Integrate all tests into Science Rig
- Design a post-test sample storage or ejection procedure/device
- Test Science Rig